For teeth that become infected, root canals in Overland Park, KS are sometimes necessary to save them – not to mention relieving the pain that may result from infection. While many people associate root canal therapy with discomfort, the procedure actually gets you out of pain. Recovery is shorter and easier than for a tooth extraction.Doctor Meagan Rondeau on root canals Read Transcript
I think root canals have definitely gotten a bad rap over the years. A lot of people hear that and they want to run out the door. Root canals, I like to tell patients that that stigma – we gotta put that to rest. But my goal for a patient during a root canal is for them to be bored. I'm pretty successful at that. Root canals are really just a filling that are in the inside of your tooth. We can do it really comfortably now. We turn a movie on for you. We've got some good distractions going on. A lot of times, I have patients that have fallen asleep during their root canals, so really my goal for you is if you're bored in my chair, then we've been successful with the root canal.
In addition to easing your pain, a root canal procedure will:
- Keep your tooth intact, which preserves your oral function
- Prevents infection from spreading elsewhere in your body
- Avoid a tooth extraction, which involves a lengthier recovery
- Save you from having to get a replacement tooth
Your Comfort Remains Our Top Priority During Root Canal Therapy
As with any treatment, we’ll do all we can to keep you comfortable during a root canal procedure. We offer:
- Hours as early as 7 a.m., so you can come in when our office is quiet
- Operatories with total privacy
- A computer-controlled anesthesia delivery system that keeps the process as hassle-free as possible
- A choice of three kinds of dental sedation
- Amenities to help you relax, like pillows, blankets, and headphones
Root Canal or Extraction: We’ll Help You Decide
If damage is confined to the pulp inside your tooth rather than the tooth structure itself, we’ll likely recommend a root canal. Advantages of the procedure include:
- Your tooth root will remain. This helps avoid the bone loss that occurs after losing a tooth.
- Unlike an extraction, you won’t experience bleeding or lingering discomfort.
- You won’t have to avoid certain foods for a while, as you do after an extraction.
- Your adjacent teeth won’t shift out of place like they can following tooth removal.
- You won’t need to worry about getting a dental implant or other tooth replacement.
For stress-free root canals in Overland Park, KS, call Blue Valley Smiles at 913-251-9449.